cryptocurrency forum

How To Spot A Scam

Discussion in 'Intermediate Level' started by Jayko, May 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jayko

Jayko Scholar

Credits
    4%
    Alright, so I've been looking around on this forum, and I've noticed that many people don't realize that there are some posts on here that look like scams. I've decided to put together a little list of instructions on what I do to see if something is a scam or not. But DO NOT take my word for it. Sometimes I get it wrong, but better safe than sorry. Anyway, watch out for the typical behavior from scammers who will usually fit at least two or three (and sometimes even more) of the following characteristics:

0. Newbies, NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH OTHER NEWBIES, EVER. There are plenty of veteran members to do business with and ALWAYS use escrow. If you're a newbie you're doing business with another newbie, there's a 100% chance that you will get scammed (or you're a scammer yourself).
    1. New account (usually created within the last 3 months, plus or minus)
    2. Low-medium message count with vapid posts of little to no contributory value
    3. Use of a seemingly realistic first/last name as their forum account name
    4. Signs posts with a full name
    5. Straight out of Newbie mode right into Lending (requesting a loan of course)
    6. Straight out of Newbie mode right into Currency Exchange (PayPal, Liberty Reserve, Western Union)
    7. Straight out of Newbie mode and selling gift cards/codes/Steam games of any kind (they'll often be purchased with stolen CC info, leaving you holding the bag later on down the road)
    8. Any user blatantly claiming to be female
    9. New user trying to sell an Apple iAnything
    10. Sob stories asking for handouts
    11. Never send to a Bitmerch.com address for escrow!!!

Arpit, MAGA and JakalCorp like this.
  2. JakalCorp

JakalCorp Contributor

Credits
    52%
    Thanks. I may have needed this. Any tips on telling whether or not a sit is a scam?

Jayko likes this.
  3. Jayko

Jayko Scholar

Credits
    4%
    Arpit and Beardhat like this.
  4. MAGA

MAGA Master of Crypto Staff Member Super Admin Premium Member

Credits
    96%
    Good tips, I'm always amazed at people falling for scams. If its too good to be true, it probably is.

• Never do something without first researching about it.
    • Be paranoid! Every time I get emails, phone calls, messages that look sketchy I'll google about it.
    • Never give any info away to anyone unless you are 100% sure you know what you are doing.

5. Asia

Asia Contributor

Credits
    23%
    I've been a victim of scammers a few times and I lost my money when I was trying to buy a bitcoin. Now I'm looking for a safe way to buy BTC that is fast and secure. Do you know any?

6. Lisam023

Lisam023 Contributor

Credits
    44%
    Scammers are everywhere and it`s really important to take care of safety.. especially when we are talking about money ;) I used https://buycoinnow.com/ twice and nothing wrong has happened. It works really quickly

7. malgosiam

malgosiam Contributor

Credits
    6%
    We should do everything that keep our money secure. Take your time and find out how particular place where you want to invest is taking care of safety. Then decide if it fits for your needs and thats it. Is better to waste time on reading infos and checking opinions of exchange than wasting money.

8. Arpit

Arpit Contributor

Credits
    17%
    @Jayko Wow. Someone has actually taken the time to put this together. That's a great resource. I'll check. Thanks